Friday, September 16, 2005

Progressive Sex Study Released

So the first major sex study in the past decade or so was released recently. There were several things about it that I thought were pretty interesting:

1 - Even though it's an individual level study, the newspaper was reporting the statistics in aggregate. In one sense this is the least judgmental in that by not running any regressions the arguments about causation v. correlation are moot. Yet at the same time the age categories they use to describe experiences can mask critical turning points and moreover, if the sexual practices of urban v. rural v. suburban teenagers and adults differe significantly which I suspect they might be, all the talk about median in the article might be somewhat misleading.

2 - The idea is put forth in the article that the prevalence of oral sex among teenagers is due to either (1) the desire to maintain "technical virginity" or (2) being a method of birth control. I suspect that these have little to do with the level or oral sex among teenagers and that the attribution of these motives is due to a gap between generations. I think that most teenagers probably look at oral sex simply as less serious, less intense, and less emotional than actual intercourse. I'd be curious as to what older and younger readers of the blog think.

3 - I love the fact that a Dr. Manlove is quoted in a study on sexuality. You can't make that stuff up, unless, as Socalpundit says, the Times does.

6 Comments:

Blogger Techunter said...

I have not read this report yet. Did this iteration of Kinsey's "groundbreaking" sex research project use pedophiles and rapists like the original one did?

1:02 AM  
Blogger Vergasy said...

I'm not familiar with Liam Neeson's original study--I didn't see the movie--but it seems a comprehensive examination of human sexuality would entail study of pedophiles and rapists, what with some humans being pedophiles and rapists (as revolting as that is).

2:07 AM  
Blogger Tally Ho said...

To avoid further confusion I'll adjust the name of the post. The old name, Kinsey 2005, caused some confusion - mainly among people that didn't check out the link.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Vergasy said...

i knew what you meant--Liam Neeson has been dead for years.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Prof. Schwarzenegger said...

As for #2, I'm against the prevelance of oral sex among teenagers - not because I'm discouraging oral sex, but because it only reminds me of what a failure I was in high school.

I think you're right when you talk about it being "less serious." Oral sex is just a massage right? A kinky and enjoyable massage.

I also think that the desire to remain a "technical virgin" also has a part to play in it. While it is by no means common practice, I think there is still a moral push to remain a virgin until marriage. I think this holds strong until the proverbial wire is tripped and the flood gates (or in the case of some people we know, the dripping faucet) are opened.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Tally Ho said...

I saw this letter to the editor in response to the article in question. It's awesome!

To the Editor:

Re "Nationwide Survey Includes Data on Teenage Sex Habits" (news article, Sept. 16):

I'm 82. Whatever happened to "love"? Or even "puppy love"? It was deep. It was frivolous. It was up; it was down. It was part of the maturing process. And I wouldn't have missed it for the world. It was also disease-free.

Bob VanWagoner
Yorktown, Va., Sept. 16, 2005

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home